Cooking for sahur doesn’t need to be complicated and time-consuming. You probably still have some leftovers in your fridge. You can make use of those vegetables or fresh meat to prepare something yummy!
If you are looking for a simple and easy recipe for sahur, you’re reading the right article. We’ve prepared for you some nutritious recipes that can save your time and money.
Simple Sahur Ideas for Family
Let’s find out what you can cook at home for sahur!
1. Cap Cay
Healthy and delicious, this vegetarian dish is a perfect choice for sahur. Cap cay is a Chinese Indonesian stir-fried vegetable dish. We have prepared for you the recipe below. You can put more ingredients based on your preferences. The preparation and cooking time take less than 30 minutes, so it is very simple!
Serving size: 4-6 people
- 250 gr of minced chicken
- 200 gr broccoli, chopped
- 200 gr cauliflower, chopped
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbs corn starch mix
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 leeks, sliced about 1 cm
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 750 ml hot water
- Heat vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium heat, saute garlic and onion until fragrant.
- Add minced chicken, stir until chicken is half cooked.
- Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, a little bit of salt and pepper. Stir well and allow to boil.
- Put all vegetables. Stir well.
- Add corn starch. Stir gently for about 2 minutes.
- Add salt, sugar, and pepper if you need to.
- Serve with steamed rice.
2. Baked Macaroni
One of the delicious foods you can make at home is baked macaroni and cheese. This is a simple recipe that your children will love! Imagine the cheese melt in your mouth, so yumms! We will tell you how to make a tasty baked macaroni!
Serving size: 4
- 500 gr macaroni
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 5 tbsp palm oil
- 200 gr minced beef
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 eggs
- 350 gr grated cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Reheat the oven to 170°C. Grease a pan with margarine. Set aside.
- Boil salt, water, 2 tbs of oil. Cook macaroni and drain.
- Prepare a small bowl. Mix curry powder with water.
- In a saucepan, saute onion and curry paste. Add beef and tomato paste. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Add macaroni into the mixture and stir.
- Break eggs into the bowl, then whisk in milk. Add 300 gr cheddar cheese, mix well. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until slightly browned on top. Cool and serve with chili sauce.
3. Water spinach with quail eggs
Craving for something delicious yet healthy? You can try cooking spinach with quail eggs, a great menu for sahur. You can either add beef/ chicken or not. It depends on your preference.
- 3 handful of water spinach
- 10 boiled quail eggs
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed
- Oyster sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oil and add garlic, fry until fragrant.
- Add in water, let it simmer. Add oyster sauce and pepper
- Put in the water spinach. Stir well.
- Add in the quail eggs and stir again.
- Serve it with steamed rice
Do you know that sardines are incredibly nutritious? Some of the nutrients in sardines are beneficial to help prevent heart disease or protect against certain cancers. It only takes less than 10 minutes to prepare delicious food for you and your family!
- 1 can of sardines
- 3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 5 cloves shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 large red chilies, chopped
- 7 cayenne peppers, cut into slices
- 1 tomato, cut into 6 parts
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat oil, saute garlic, onion, red chili, and cayenne pepper until fragrant.
- Add canned sardines into the frying pan, stir well.
- Add the tomato slices then saute for a few minutes.
- Add sugar and salt, according to your preference
- Wait for it to boil, turn off the heat, and serve it.
5. Sweet and Sour Shrimp
If you’re craving for seafood at home, you can try cooking sweet and sour shrimp. Here is the recipe:
- 250 grams of shrimp
- 1 piece of lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- Chopped onion
- 1 stick of green onion, sliced
- 3tbs of butter or margarine for sauteing
How to make the sauce:
- 2 tbsp of tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp of chili sauce
- 2 tbsp of sweet soy sauce
- 1 tbs of lime juice
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- Broth powder
- Clean the shrimp. Wash it under running water. Put the shrimp in a container, add with lime juice, and sprinkle with salt. Set aside.
- In a container, mix all the spices and stir until blended. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter then saute shrimp until half cooked. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter. Saute onion until fragrant.
- Enter the seasoning mixture. Cook until the seasoning thickens.
- Add shrimp and leeks. Stir and cook briefly.
- The shrimp is ready to be served.
Have a Blessed Ramadan!
We hope you can get the most out of the Ramadan season this year. During this fasting month, you can improve your cooking skills as well!
Do you know that besides cooking Indonesian food, you can try cooking foods from other countries such as Korean, Japanese, or Western food? Cooking is fun and liberating, t-mates!