How to make e-passport – Wanna see what the world has to offer? Traveling abroad is something you should definitely do once in a while. But before buying the flight ticket and prepare everything on hand, there’s one utmost essential you need to have; a passport.
A passport is your ID card when you go to another country, as a proof of legal document that you have to carry anywhere. When you want to cross the border, you need to show your passport.
So, do you have it already? If not, read through because we’d like to break down the simple steps to make e-passport, easily!
In Indonesia, there are two different types of passports. You can either make an ordinary passport or biometric passport (known as e-passport). The difference is that e-passport has a chip on the front cover contains fingerprints and your photo that can be recognized by scanning.
If you like traveling abroad or it’s gonna be your first time of having a passport, we’d suggest making the e-passport because there are plenty of benefits for its holders. Curious to find out? Let’s see the perks below!
The Benefits of Having e-Passport
Here are several benefits for those who have or are going to apply for e-passport soon.
1. More accurate and complete data
e-Passport contains accurate data because it uses a biometric system that will record your fingerprints and face shape, to be stored on the chip. The chip will be used for the scanning process either manually or through autogate at the immigration.
2. e-Passports are hard to forge
With the chip on the front page of the passport, this makes e-passport is difficult to be misused. It’s because the e-passport contains the holder’s personal data in the form of fingerprint and face shape.
3. Easier to get visa approval
This third perk is maybe the main thing that makes people flock to upgrade their conventional passport to e-passport. Rumour has it that e-passport makes visa application easier to be approved.
Although not all embassies will easily issue a letter of approval for anyone, however, due to the accurate and valid data on the e-passport, embassies tend to believe the applicant’s data. Thus, making your visa get approved easily and faster.
4. Free visa to Japan with e-passport!
The Japanese Embassy will give you a visa waiver for Indonesian people who want to go to Japan for a maximum of 15 days. Definitely a huge deal for those who plan on visiting Japan, because you can skip the hassle of applying for a visa!
5. Queue no more at the immigration gates
You know when you travel overseas, before you enter the country you need to get through the immigration gate for a passport checking process, and the queue is usually very long and tiring. Now, if you have e-passport in your hand, you can be free from queuing!
Simply go to the autogate, scan your e-passport and your fingerprint, then you’re all done! Even though not all airports in Indonesia have an autogate system, but let’s hope in the near future you can feel this advantage.
Requirements to Make e-Passport
Before you go to the nearest Immigration Office, you should first make sure that the requirements for making e-passports are complete so that your e-passport process will be faster.
You can prepare the requirements to make e-passport by preparing a number of documents listed below. Read on, t-mates!
- ID Card (e-KTP)
- Family registry card
- Birth certificate / Marriage certificate / Diploma / Marriage book / Baptist letter
- Old passport (if any)
- Letter of recommendation**
- New passport application statement (stamped)
The above-mentioned documents are photocopied on A4 paper, but also prepare original documents from each of the required documents, just in case. While the letter of recommendation is needed for those who live outside Jakarta, Batam, and Surabaya to make e-passport in those three cities.
Do you want to upgrade your old conventional passport to e-passport? You only need the following documents:
- Old passport
- ID card (e-KTP)
It’s very important for you to know that e-passport registration can only be done at Kantor Imigrasi Kelas I, which are located in Jakarta, Surabaya, and Batam. So, if you live outside the three cities, you have to come to those cities. Check out the list below!
- Kantor Imigrasi Kelas I Khusus Jakarta Selatan
- Kantor Imigrasi Kelas I Khusus Jakarta Barat
- Kantor Imigrasi Kelas I Jakarta Pusat
- Kantor Imigrasi Kelas I Jakarta Utara
- Kantor Imigrasi Kelas I Tanjung Priok
- Kantor Imigrasi Kelas I Khusus Bandara Soekarno Hatta
- Kantor Imigrasi Kelas I Khusus Surabaya
- Kantor Imigrasi Kelas I Khusus Batam
Steps to Make e-Passport
After the documents are ready and you know which Immigration Office to go, now it’s the time to find out the steps of how to make e-passport. Simple and hassle-free!
1. Online appointment
- Before coming to the nearest Immigration Office, you need to register yourself online through antrian.imigrasi.go.id or download Layanan Paspor Online on your smartphone.
- Select the Immigration Office you’d like to go, as well as the date and time slot available.
2. Come to the selected Immigration Office
- Come to the Immigration Office that you’ve selected on the online registration in accordance with the chosen date and time.
- Bring the required documents (original and photocopy) and show the queue number to get the yellow folder containing the form.
- Prepare a black pen to fill out the form inside the yellow folder given by the Immigration Officer.
- Submit the completed form along with the required documents.
- If the requirements are complete, you will be given a queue number for the interview and taking photos.
- Interview and photo process. Remember not to use white clothes, because the background is white.
- After the interview and photo process, you will be given Proof of Payment in order to make payments according to the rules stated on the paper.
3. Passport application process
After finalizing a payment, you just need to wait and enjoy the process because it won’t take too long. Usually, the e-passport process will take 4 up to 10 working days.
4. Collect your e-passport!
When you got the news that your e-passport is done, to collect it don’t forget to bring your e-KTP, proof of payment, and passport application receipt. Take the queue number and your passport will be in your hand!
If you can’t come to take your passport, another person can take it on behalf of yourself. If it’s your family, the person has to bring the family registry card while another person (not family) needs to present a power of attorney.
e-Passport costs and payment methods
Cost of making e-passports
Totally simple and hassle-free, right? You just have to make sure to prepare all the documents needed completely and correct.
Since you’re going to have your passport soon, why don’t you hunt for the ticket right away? Here are 8 hacks to get cheap flight tickets, keeping your holiday on a budget and free from penny-pinching!